Separating an Existing Dwelling From A Larger Parcel
The Bureau County Zoning Ordinance states in Article 2.21 that the sale or lease of any property formerly used or presently used as a farm residence or tenant house shall not be subject to the Maps, Plats and Subdivision Code of Bureau County under the following conditions
- The existing dwelling must be zoned Agriculture and must have been constructed prior to January 1, 1987.
- A Plat of Survey is required (which has been prepared by a Professional Land Surveyor licensed in the State of Illinois). We suggest that all buildings be "spotted" (shown) on the plat of survey.
- Bureau County agricultural zoning setback requirements should be met (minimum of fifty (50) feet from the right-of-way of any road and thirty (30) feet from side and rear property lines.
- The parcel of land must be large enough to support a well and septic system. We suggest that the parcel also be large enough to support an alternate or secondary location for a future septic field.
- The plat of survey must be recorded with the Bureau County Recorder either prior to or along with the deed of conveyance.
- Any other questions should be directed to the Zoning Enforcement Officer, Contact Them Here.