Please be patient, this may take a moment.
Fencing Regulations Information
Fence Regulations In Residential Zoned Areas
- No building permit required.
- Only residential type fences allowed. No barbed wire, no electric fence, no sheet steel fence, etc. Fence must be of same color.
- Fence shall not exceed 6' tall and shall be placed only behind the front of the house.
- A maximum 3' tall residential fence shall be placed in front of the house. However, fence must be at least 50% open and must not restrict motor vehicle and/or pedestrian visibility.
- Fences can be placed on the property line. However, no fence in a front, rear, or side yard shall be constructed closer than 2' from a public right-of-way,
- If you have a corner lot or your lot forms a corner with an alley, you can't build anything over 2.5' tall in the 15' site triangle of a minor intersection and the 50' site triangle of a major intersection. See Diagram A below
Fence Regulations In Business or Manufacturing Zoned Areas
- A building permit is required.
- Fence can be up to 8' high, certain industries can be higher.
- Fence can be built on property line. However, you must follow site triangle regulations. (See item 6 above).
- The fence has to be compatible with the business or industry (for example: no solid fence around a retail nursery, but a solid fence required around a junkyard).
Diagram A: 4 - Vision Clearance on Corner Lot